- Game DevelopmentGoing Old School: Making Games With a Retro AestheticEverything old is new again, and retro games are more popular than ever. Bolstered by nostalgia and the abundance of casual and arcade-style games on iOS and Android devices, old school games are making a comeback. In this tutorial I'll give you some tips on creating a successful retro-themed game.Read More…
- DevelopmentCountdown in Style With an Airport Terminal Timer
- DevelopmentCreate a Pinball-Style Rolling Score Counter Class
Twice a month, we revisit some of our readers’ favorite posts from throughout the history of Activetuts+. This tutorial was first published in February, 2010.
In this tutorial you'll create a reusable Score class that counts up to the new total when points are added (instead of jumping up to the new score). We'll cover graphics creation as well as code.Read More…
- DevelopmentHarness the Power of Palette Mapping to Customize Game Characters - Active Premium
- DevelopmentCreate a Static Distortion Effect Using the Displacement Map Filter
Twice a month, we revisit some of our readers’ favorite posts from throughout the history of Activetuts+. This tutorial was first published a year ago in January, 2010.
In this tutorial you'll learn how to use AS3's DisplacementMapFilter class to create a reusable static distortion effect for button rollovers.Read More…
- DevelopmentQuick Tip: Compile a Debug Version of Your Flash Project
- DevelopmentMake an RPG-Style Text System for Your Next Game
- DevelopmentCreate a Retro CRT Distortion Effect Using RGB Shifting
I’m a designer specializing in motion graphics and interactive design. I make games over at The Pencil Farm.